G R O U N D I N G | E A R T H I N G
When I started grounding, I did not go into it open minded. I thought it was a silly weird thing to do or even to believe it will actually affect you. I was young, always on the go, hanging out all night, work, school, friends, boyfriend, dogs etc. You name it! I was full of stress and anxiety. I didn’t think it changed anything for me besides now my feet are dirty!
Fast forward to almost three years ago, I was a new mom, doing it all alone while my husband worked long hours, my baby was colic with reflux, my dog passed a month after my son was born, and I was pouring from an empty cup that had a small leak to begin with. I was diagnosed with Postpartum Depression and Anxiety and was prescribed medication- which I refused to take. I hated the thought of needing medication to feel like myself (no shame in taking medications though! I’m just more of a natural healer). I was also still (trying) to breastfeed- which was a whole other major stressor for me. I just didn’t feel like medication was right for me. So, I tried finding other ways to help- I attended mom groups and playdates with other moms going through similar things, and I did some research because I felt like there was more that was missing from my life that could help me feel better than what I was feeling. I felt so lost and alone. I felt out of touch with my life. It all felt so different and … painful.
Along with this technique, I also performed other self-care things as you will read in my other blog posts here, like journaling, yoga, and creating a skin care and hair care routine.
Grounding was the first thing I learned about when embarking on this spiritual journey. Another name for it is “Earthing” which is when you are electrically reconnecting to Earth through touch. Doing this consistently can help you feel more relaxed, grow to be more authentic to your body and soul and to be open to receiving Earth’s nourishing energy. Grounding also helps you be more present, feel secure in your own skin and in your life, gives you better sleep, reduces pain, inflammation and stress as well as improves your immunity by neutralizing the free radicals in your body (which are created by some type of infection or inflammation in the body, stress or toxic environment).
How to effectively ground yourself physically is to go outside bare feet and just stand, walk or even lay down on the ground. It can be grass, stone, sand, or dirt! It’s even possible to keep your socks on because they are conductive and will still transmit the Earth’s healing energy through to you. Be open minded and ready to accept what Earth has to give to you.
Spiritual grounding is another game changer- some of which can actually fall into the self-care category!! You may already be doing it!
Some ways that I ground spiritually- which brings me physical and emotional balance is:
- Clean food & lots of water- Lots of green foods!
- Yoga and exercise- I follow what my body needs and wants. Some days I skip if I need a day off. But be sure to identify when you need a day off and when you need some more motivation.
- Spend time with my house plants and garden. I really love planting new seeds- THAT’S where the magic happens (to see the growth from a seedling to full bloom) but caring for my plants daily has honestly added so much to my life.
- Meditation – I usually do this first thing in the morning for 5-10 minutes and again at night if I feel I can benefit from it. (I incorporate this after I do my journaling & mind dump)
- Salt baths- Epsom salt is great (especially for any swelling or inflammation) as well as Himalayan salt.
- Go out in nature! A quiet walk, hike, or just sitting outdoors and clear you mind and completely immerse yourself into the sounds, smells and sights of nature.
- Eat chocolate!!! Yes, you read that right! Chocolate! But don’t run to the store and buy every chocolate bar and eat your heart out. It has to be raw organic chocolate! Dark chocolate is the next best thing.
- Breathwork! This one is new to me, but I have instantly felt the results after each session. Who would’ve known that our breathing can affect us so much! Seriously check out Sam Skelley on Instagram or listen to her podcast or just search breathwork on YouTube.
So how do you feel about Grounding/Earthing now? Are you open to trying it? Have you already done it? Share your story with me! Or share this with a friend who may benefit from it!